Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Following the Lamb

I don't know about you but I've heard the Christmas story called "the Greatest story ever told" I disagree. It's not that interesting of a story, if stories are for entertainment value and we were to compare them with movies I would say this ranks just above Made of Honor (yes I was forced by my wife to watch that movie)

Think about it, a guy Joseph is in an arranged marriage when Mary his soon to be bride tells him that she is pregnant and it's not his baby and he can't get jealous because God has impregnated her. Not a great excuse but an original one. Joseph not believing is visited by an angel and has a change of heart as we all would if visited by an angel, just watch it's a wonderful life and you'll see. So it's tax season and Joseph has to head to Bethlehem to avoid being audited. (this is an abridged version) Mary has the baby in a manger which is designed to feed animals. See, not that great of a story which makes me wonder how did these people keep something like this alive? I think it's because God has kept the story alive. And seeing a man raised from the dead would cause you to want to know more about him.

I really believe that we would know nothing of this story if it weren't for the resurrection. Christ would have faded into obscurity along with all the other false messiahs and prophets of his day. But the act of love displayed on the cross is what kept the story alive and it's that, which to me is the greatest story ever.

So instead of talking about the birth of Jesus Impact Student Ministries will be doing a series called Following the Lamb. In this two part series we will see how communion marked the end of the old covenant and ushered in the beginning of the new. I'm very excited about this series and I think it's going to be great. Also we are having our Christmas party Dec 10th at 6:30. So come on over to the Youth House.

See you there

1 comment:

Drew Coffman said...

I can definitely agree to a great extent - that is why his Resurrection was so wonderful. If he would have came to rule on Earth, no matter how AMAZING his reign would have been, it would have ended. His way - death for us - allowed His victory to be eternal. I think that is a pretty amazing plan.