Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Truth


"But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to serve somebody,
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody."

-Bob Dylan

I think religious people get upset when you suggest that all they really care about is money. I know I care about money. In fact all of us care about money. Our whole lives revolve around getting more of it so we can exchange it for other stuff. I hear a lot of talk about our capitalist society and how that is the American way. I don't know if that's a good thing. The pursuit of wealth is obviously a flawed one, like chasing the wind you can never get enough or ever be satisfied if money is your desire.

Sadly it is the desire of many Church's who have bought into the lie that they need more of it. I hear preachers on TV asking for money and leveraging the Gospel to get more money. They say things like "If you give you will be blessed with 10 times the amount you gave" If they really believed that they would give away all their money to the people watching.

Don't get me wrong, I think you need to be wise with your money. In the Bible what you do with your money is a reflection of your heart. What we invest in, reflects what we really care about. God doesn't want your money, he wants you. Jesus said, "Render to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." The model of the Church should follow this. Don't worry about money, you can't take it with you anyway.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ben,
You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for sharing and giving more insight to this issue. It seems to me that we put money before people. Maybe in all of this economic mess we are suppose to learn something from this.
I know I have. Love you son.
Mom