Friday, October 24, 2008

A response

I have been married now for over a year and it has been (apart from Christ) the best thing that has ever happened to me. My wife and I exchanged vows on our wedding day. It was an event, it was a celebration. We entered into what some may call a covenant.

A covenant is just a promise. And we made that promise public. I believe that baptism is the public expression of the inward change. I think just as the vows for marriage are not the same for every couple nor have they stayed the same throughout history, the central message has been clear. One man, One woman, One lifetime.

I think this is the picture God had drawn up to be a mirror of what He wants for you and me.

I don't think anyone can say who is saved and who is not, that is presuming to see the heart of man which the bible claims only God can do. What we can judge and see is a mans works and I believe Baptism is the first step of obedience in that Life.

The bible never gives any instructions on how to confess with your mouth and believe with your heart, because if you need a system for salvation you have missed the point all together and it has ceased to be personal.

A relationship with Christ is meant to be personal and like any love relationship it can not be broken down into steps. It can only be muddled and staggered through. It's our love, responding to His perfect love.

No comments: