Saturday, June 7, 2008

As promised, My Top Five Worship Albums

I guess I have to clarify what a worship album is to the music industry and what a worship album is to me as a worshiper. (can they be different? I think so.)
A worship album is traditionally music designed with the intent to get your focus on God. Lyrics, melody's, rhythm, feel, it's all created to get you into the mood to worship God and hopefully you do.

I believe that God created music and despite some groups not being Christian or having ever made a worship album, I still feel I can worship God because I worship God for the music and not the music for God. So here are my Top 5.

5. Illuminate: David Crowder

This was an amazing follow up album to "Can You hear us?" It was more electric and the use of looping was more prevalent. Great songs on this album like; Only You, O Praise Him, Deliver Me, How Great. The whole album is pretty much a slam dunk and dominated my Cd player for about a year.

4. Speechless: Steven Curtis Chapman
Not a worship album by industry standards but with songs like With hope, and Be Still this album truly brought me to a place my other Christian rock albums were not. With beautiful lyrics that didn't feel like tired recycled lines, this album has a quality that only Abbey Road studios could have produced.

3. Welcome to the freak show: Dc Talk

The first time I heard the Jesus Freak album I was pretty young but knew I wanted more. So when this live album of Dc Talk came out I was more than ready for it. With new versions of some less than stellar songs on prior albums Dc Talk manages to revive and renew some old material and make you love it. My favorite song is The Hardway. This was the first song that I heard that made me really see that I was lost without God. Go get this Album.

2. Can You hear us?: David Crowder
So original, so different. I remember hearing this album for the first time and thinking that I had never heard songs like this, especially for worship. I need words is the first song on the album and is short and sweet, mellow and melodic and then you are dropped into Our love is loud which became a standard song for many worship bands. It was hard to rate this album above Illuminate because both are so great but if it wasn't for this album Illuminate could never have happened. Some keys songs are God of Wrath, You're everything and the Split Track of Undignified and You Alone.

1. Naked: Andrew Phillip
Let me make this clear, I love all those albums above. I think they are great but compared to Naked they are like Etchasketch to Vincent Van Gogh. Naked is not just my favorite worship album, it's my favorite album. It's Just Andrew and a slightly out of tune Piano, 12 tracks, and all the mistakes kept in. It's absolutely perfect. It's real, from the heart, open and intimate. You are at the throne room of God. This album is harder to get a hold of, but I would love to make you a copy. Andrew is a local worship leader and is a great guy with a real passion for worship. At one time every song has been my favorite so it's hard to pick out which ones are key. Kiss, Exodus, and Dogs and Diamonds are probably the most comfortable and catchy to a new listener. Get this album!

anyway thats all for now

No comments: