Monday, June 2, 2008

What you Give vs What you Get

“Wow! Worship was great.” or “I didn't get much out of worship today”

I started leading worship when I was in the eight grade for my youth group. I had just started playing guitar and I had no idea what I was doing. The band consisted of all teenagers and I was the youngest (kind of like now minus the teenagers). It was intimidating being such an inexperienced musician leading in songs I could barely play and sing at the same time but somehow we managed to survive Wednesday night Youth group. Other than seeing others draw closer to God and experience Him, I didn't know what I wanted out of worship. I think my passion was for others to experience God in a real way. Unfortunately I was discouraged right away. Most would sit through worship and if they stood they barely sang or looked interested. It became harder and harder to get on the stage and get excited about God. My excitement for worship began to slide downhill and it got to the point that I was getting nothing out of worship.

It took years of God leading and teaching me that it was never about what I get out of worship. It's about what I give. The concept that my feelings and spiritual well being were not the main focus of worship was a completely new concept to me. It wasn't that God didn't care about my spiritual health, in fact, He cared and cares more than I ever could. But it's through giving that we grow. It's through sacrifice that we find our place as worshipers.

So looking back I can see that all those times I didn't get anything out of worship was because I was focused on my spiritual fulfillment and not on God. I think almost all of us have experienced this in our lives with Christ. I think it's important to keep God at the center of our lives where ever we go and remember that it's about what you give, not what you get.

Romans 12:1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.
What I'm listening to: Louder than Creation by The North Point Worship Band Get a copy at www.northpointmusic.com

No comments: